Sweden: Several wounded in school sword attack
Deutsche Welle Β· LC Β· trust 59/100

Police say they have arrested an individual who stabbed several people with a sword at a high school in central Sweden.
https://p.dw.com/p/5JD8f Police locked down other schools in the area following the attack Image: Niklas Hagman/TT/picture alliance Advertisement A person armed with a sword has wounded multiple people at a school in Fagersta in central Sweden , authorities said Friday.
Police said one person had been taken into custody and there was no longer any danger to the public.
"Two people are seriously wounded," Jonas Cederberg, healthcare director in Vastmanland county in central Sweden, told reporters.
Swedish media reported that the perpetrator is a man and that police shot him in the leg. That information has not been independently verified.
Police were called to the Brinellskola, a secondary school in Fagersta, at around 2 p.m. local time (1200 GMT). The school, which has some 450 students aged 16 to 20, had just reopened after the summer holidays.
Public broadcaster SVT reported that ambulances, police cars and a police helicopter were outside the property.
The municipality said other schools and some public buildings in the area had been locked down.
Fagersta, home to some 12,000 people, lies around 170 kilometers (105 miles) northwest of the capital, Stockholm.
"Our thoughts are with all those affected," Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said in a post on X. "We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively."
Magdalena Andersson, leader of the opposition Social Democrats, lamented the "terrible news."
"When violence takes place at a school, I know it impacts everyone in our country. All of Sweden β stands together with Fagersta at this difficult time," she wrote on X.
Sweden has seen a number of high-profile attacks at educational facilities in recent years.
In February 2025, a 35-year-old man killed 10 people at an adult education center in Orebro.
In another incident, an 18-year-old student fatally stabbed two teachers at a Malmo high school in March 2022.
Don't let the algorithm hide the news. If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google by clicking here and hit the "star" or "preferred" button so you'll always see our verified news first.
Read the original at Deutsche Welle β
Open in TruthVane β