Kelly, Tillis urge Trump to reverse reduction to joint military exercises with South Korea
The Hill ยท C ยท trust 46/100

Sens. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) are urging President Trump to reverse his decision to order a reduction of joint military exercises with South Korea, citing the need to preserve the alliance between the two countries.
“Joint exercises such as Ulchi Freedom Shield provide U.S. and ROK forces critical opportunities to practice command and control, combined operations, logistics, and responses to evolving threats. Reducing these exercises risks degrading interoperability and readiness while sending the wrong signal to North Korea and our adversaries,” Kelly and Tillis wrote in a 2-page letter to Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.
The duo also wrote that they are concerned that reducing the training that would deter North Korean “aggression” could provide Pyongyang “ greater freedom ” to utilize its military resources elsewhere, including its support for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
“Decisions about U.S. force posture and training must be driven by military requirements and the security of the United States and our allies, not political retaliation,” the senators wrote. “ Our allies should not be punished for declining to support unilateral U.S. military actions in the Middle East, particularly when such shortsighted measures undermine American military readiness.”
The president announced the reduction on Sunday in a post on Truth Social , arguing they are hostile toward North Korea and highlighted his “very good relationship” with Kim Jong Un.
Trump also slammed South Korea for not helping the U.S. in its war against Iran.
When reached for comment on Tuesday, the White House pointed The Hill to the president’s comments from Monday during which he said he spoke recently with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung about aiding the U.S. in its conflict with Iran.
“I called him. I said, ‘Would you like to give us a little hand? We don’t need help with Iran, but if you’d like, give us a hand with Iran.’ He said, ‘ No thanks ,’ and I said, ‘Wait a minute. We have 39,000 soldiers over there, guarding you from Kim Jong Un, your next-door neighbor, and you’re not going to help us on a very easy military operation in Iran. That’s strange,’” the president said Monday in the Oval Office.
Hegseth’s office did not immediately respond to The Hill’s request for comment.
The war games are an instrumental part of the mutual defense treaty between the U.S. and South Korea, envisioned to shield Seoul from possible North Korean aggression.
Trump has criticized the joint exercises in the past. Back in 2018, he said he would suspend the drills after meeting Kim. “Diplomacy and deterrence are not mutually exclusive. We support a credible diplomatic strategy toward North Korea, but diplomacy is strengthened, not weakened, when it is backed by a capable, ready U.S.-ROK alliance,” Tillis and Kelly, who sits on the Senate Armed Services Commitee, said in the letter.
Welcome to The Hill’s Defense & National Security newsletter, I’m Filip Timotija — your guide to the latest developments at the Pentagon, on Capitol Hill and beyond.
Did someone forward you this newsletter? Subscribe here.
Navy destroyer went days without power in the South China Sea, leaving sailors without toilets
A U.S. Navy destroyer went four days without power in the South China Sea last month, leaving sailors aboard without toilets, air conditioning, galley service and potable water, according to the U.S. Navy’s 7th Fleet. The USS Benfold, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, experienced loss of power following an “engineering casualty” on July 24 in the Indo-Pacific. No crew members were injured in the incident, ...
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) said Tuesday that its armed forces detected two missiles fired from Iran and that both fell into the water. The country’s air defense systems spotted Iranian ballistic missiles. One fell outside of the nation’s territorial waters, and the other fell well within its territorial waters, the UAE’s Defense Ministry said in a statement. “The Ministry of Defence affirms that it remains on high alert ...
President Trump posted an image of a map labeling the Strait of Hormuz as a U.S. territory early on Tuesday in an apparent effort to double down on his calls to annex the waterway. The map, which Trump posted on his Truth Social account, labels the waterway as a “new U.S. territory.” The Strait of Hormuz, through which 20 percent of the world’s oil flows, is located in the territorial waters of Iran and Oman. ...
Rep. Pat Fallon (R-Texas) said Monday he does not “make much” of reports that allege crew members aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln are suffering from declining mental health and supply shortages due to its long deployment. In an appearance on Fox Business’s “Mornings with Maria” anchored by Cheryl Casone, Fallon, a member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, responded to the reports and calls for congressional ...
A group of Democratic senators accused the Trump administration of violating a court order and demanded officials immediately stop sharing Medicaid data that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) use for deportation proceedings. ...
Ossoff battle with Trump, White House gets nasty
The White House and Sen. Jon Ossoff are engaged in an increasingly nasty fight that intensified after the Georgia Democrat, a rising star in his party, ... Read more
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf on Tuesday bashed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent as being “way ... Read more
You’re all caught up. See you tomorrow!
Read the original at The Hill โ
Open in TruthVane โ