Yehuda Katz buried on Mount of Olives, 44 years after falling in battle in Lebanon
Times of Israel · LC · trust 44/100

A British teenager pleads guilty over an arson attack at offices linked to television station Iran International in northwest London earlier this year.
Nathan Dunn, 19, pleads guilty to a charge of “arson being reckless as to whether life is endangered” at London’s Old Bailey over the incident in April in which an ignited container was thrown towards premises belonging to Volant Media, the parent company of the London-based broadcaster.
The device landed in a car park and the fire extinguished itself, causing no damage or injuries.
Dunn had originally been charged alongside a 21-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy, who cannot be identified because of his age.
Iran International, a broadcaster critical of Iran’s government, said at the time that a suspicious vehicle had been denied entry to its London site shortly before the incendiary device was thrown.
Two Palestinians were wounded by settler gunfire in the area of Sa’ir, north of Hebron, Palestinian media outlets report.
One of the injured is reportedly 70 years old.
Hilltop News, a media outlet affiliated with the settler movement, claimed that ultra-Orthodox hikers had arrived in the area and were pelted with stones by residents of Sa’ir.
The outlet says that Israeli security forces arrived at the scene and opened fire at one of the people throwing rocks.
The IDF says the incident is under review.
اعتداء جديد على المزارعين.. عصابات المستوطنين تهاجم وادي سعير شمال الخليل. pic.twitter.com/MZ7ltiZYFw
— المركز الفلسطيني للإعلام (@PalinfoAr) August 21, 2026
International Criminal Court President Tomoko Akane of Japan warns against “the demise of international rule of law” after she was hit by US sanctions.
“The sanction against me this time was something I had anticipated to an extent, so I’m not surprised,” Akane says in a statement released on X by her publisher Bungei Shunju.
“The important thing is not to let this be the beginning of the demise of international rule of law.”
The funeral for Sgt. First Class Yehuda Katz, who went missing in the First Lebanon War’s battle of Sultan Yacoub in 1982 and whose remains were returned to Israel on Tuesday, is underway at the Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives, in Jerusalem.
Hundreds of people lined the streets to pay their last respects as the funeral procession set off from the Kerem B’Yavne yeshiva in southern Israel, where Katz studied before enlisting in the IDF.
Among those in attendance are Mossad chief Roman Gofman and the government’s former hostage and missing persons pointman Gal Hirsch.
Katz’s brother says the family will be sitting shiva — the seven-day Jewish mourning period — for him “because until now, we had not given up hope of finding him alive.”
“As far as we are concerned, Yehuda was killed this week, not 44 years ago.”
He is also eulogized by the head of Kerem B’Yavne, Rabbi Mordechai Greenberg, who points to Katz as proof that military conscription does not prevent one from living a religious lifestyle.
“There are those who think that yeshiva students are damaged in the army,” he says in remarks carried by Hebrew media outlets, referring to current discourse around the conscription of ultra-Orthodox men. “With Yehuda, it was the opposite.”
The Israeli Air Force has received its second Boeing KC-46 refueling plane, out of six ordered, in a move that will significantly boost Israel’s long-range strike capabilities, the military announced.
A ceremony was held yesterday at the Nevatim Airbase in southern Israel to inaugurate the second refueling tanker after it arrived from the United States.
The KC-46 aircraft, known in the IAF as “Gideon,” are to replace the military’s current fleet of aging Boeing 707 refueling planes, which played a key role in Israel’s recent wars against Iran.
The military says the refuelers “enable the extension of the operational range and loiter time of fighter jets in the air, alongside advanced and multi-mission transport capabilities.”
The arrival of the KC-46 “constitutes a significant enhancement of the Air Force’s capabilities in a multi-front war and in operations in distant theaters,” the IDF adds.
The suspect in the murder of 7-year-old Hillel Mordechai Dadon in Beit Shemesh earlier this week is believed to have visited the apartment where Dadon was staying hours before he stabbed the boy to death and injured his 4-year-old cousin, the Israel Police says in an update on the case.
Dadon and his 4-year-old cousin were attacked on Monday while their parents were out of the house.
The suspect, a 26-year-old male neighbor of the family, is identified by Hebrew-language media as Liel Ifergan, although the police update does not identify him by name.
According to the police, the suspect visited the home earlier in the day and had a brief conversation with the homeowner before departing. Hours later, he returned and stabbed the two boys.
The suspect’s motive is not yet known. The deputy head of the Jerusalem District Police’s interrogation division says the investigation is currently focused on “understanding exactly what the suspect’s motive was and what led him to attack the children.”
His remand has been extended until August 25.
A Hamas terrorist who held numerous hostages in captivity in the Strip during the war was killed in an Israeli strike in central Gaza this week, the IDF announces.
The Wednesday strike in Nuseirat killed Sobhi Sami Mahmoud Shahtot, identified by the military as a platoon commander in Hamas’s military wing.
The IDF says Shahtot invaded Israel during the October 7, 2023, onslaught and “took part in holding numerous hostages in Hamas captivity during the war. ”
Shahtot was also seen taking part in Hamas’s hostage handover ceremonies in November 2023, according to the military.
The IDF justifies the strike amid the ceasefire by saying that the terrorist had been advancing attacks on troops and Israeli civilians. He was “eliminated to remove the threat,” the army says.
A…
Read the original at Times of Israel →
Open in TruthVane →