Middle East live: Trump threatens economic punishment on 'any country' helping Iran
France 24 · LC · trust 37/100

By: FRANCE 24 US President Donald Trump posted a map calling the Strait of Hormuz a 'NEW U.S. territory' © Jim Watson, AFP US President Donald Trump on Wednesday warned of economic consequences against any country that supported Tehran or provided "any type of lifeline to Iran." He did not specify what specific steps Washington would take against such a country and did not list any country by name. Follow our liveblog for the latest updates.
as discussions to end the war between the United States and Iran remained deadlocked, according to the latest shipping data.
Commodity vessel transits at Hormuz totalled nine on Wednesday, unchanged from Tuesday, shiptracking data from Kpler showed.
Transits remained low amid conflicting claims between the U.S. and Iran. U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday no talks were taking place and that the strait was open. Iran said the waterway remained shut.
Israel's military acknowledged on Wednesday that its troops had opened fire on a car carrying 5-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab and her family members in Gaza in 2024 and said it had opened a criminal investigation , though rights groups say such probes rarely lead to convictions.
Hind Rajab's killing was one of the most high-profile incidents involving civilian deaths during Israel's military assault in Gaza, launched following the 2023 Hamas-led attacks on southern Israel.
Britain said on Wednesday it had summoned Israel's charge d'affaires and demanded a halt to a major West Bank settlement project after Israeli authorities opened bidding for more than 1,200 homes in the area.
The E1 plan, green-lit by Israel last year, has drawn international condemnation, with the UN secretary general saying at the time that it posed an "existential threat" to a contiguous Palestinian state.
The project would further separate east Jerusalem, occupied and annexed by Israel and predominantly inhabited by Palestinians, from the West Bank.
British foreign minister Ed Miliband called the move "an unacceptable and destructive act" and said it would "endanger the viability of a two-state solution".
"The Israeli Government must halt E1 plans immediately, retract the tender and stop all settlement expansion," Miliband said in a statement.
Australia's top diplomat said Thursday she was "outraged" by Israel's decision to not pursue a criminal investigation into the killing of Australian aid worker Lalzawmi "Zomi" Frankcom and her colleagues in Gaza.
Australia will summon Israel's ambassador Hillel Newman over the move and has asked Canberra's envoy in the country to "convey our views directly" to the government there, Foreign Minister Penny Wong said in a statement
"The Australian Government learned of Israel's decision late last night, moments before it was announced, on World Humanitarian Day -- which is especially insulting to Zomi's loved ones, humanitarians and all Australians," Wong said.
Frankcom was among a group of seven World Central Kitchen staff killed in April 2024 when their aid convoy was mistakenly hit by an Israeli air strike.
that supported Tehran or provided "any type of lifeline to Iran."
"ANY country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences," Trump said in a post on Truth Social.
He did not specify what specific steps Washington would take against such a country and did not list any country by name.
© 2026 Copyright France 24 - All rights reserved. France 24 is not responsible for the content of external websites. Audience ratings certified by ACPM. ACPM
Read the original at France 24 →
Open in TruthVane →